Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chiron Self-Defense Training

A few pics from a useful and fun evening with Rory Miller of Chiron Training at Soja Martial Arts in Oakland.  If you're interested in reality-based self defense and you have a chance to train with Rory, I highly recommend the experience.  His books are also excellent.

I know he's going to hit me... but how?

Showing how to fight through encirclement

Teaching "Dracula's Cape" -- a defensive elbow

That's a Tony Blauer High Gear suit at left -- awesome equipment

Infighting

Trying out a Tony Blauer spear

Staircase brawl

6 comments:

Bebe T. said...

Thanks, Barry. My son has been interested in No Nonsense Self-Defence since I first read a reference to it in one of your novels, so I think he'd be very interested in a class like this. Do you know of anything like it in NYC?

Barry Eisler said...

Hi Bebe, I know Marc, Rory, and Tony Blauer all travel, so check their websites and see if there are any nearby seminars. Well worth it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Please tell me, nowadays everybody is learning self defense and other martial art tricks, including the thieves and chain snatchers. How can I protect myself from another martial artist who attacks me?

Regards,
Arnold Brame
Health And Safety Consultant Norfolk

Barry Eisler said...

Arnold, there are no guarantees in self-defense (or in anything else). Instead, it's about improving your odds overall. Driving carefully and wearing a seatbelt doesn't guarantee you'll never die in an accident (what if I get hit head-on by an explosives-laden 18-wheeler?) -- but it improves your odds. Check out www.nononsenseselfdefense.com -- lots more info there.

Barrington Tiger Academy said...

Thanks for sharing such great tips!
Jiu Jitsu, Illinois,